Hyatt Centric Victoria Harbour Hong Kong has launched “Explore North Point” – a new initiative which aims to connect hotel guests with the local community, while directly supporting and showcasing small businesses around the area. As part of this initiative, hotel guests* will now receive a specially-designed “Explorer Kit” which includes a guide to key neighbourhood spots, as well as vouchers to redeem food and drink items from some of the area’s most iconic shops, the costs of which will be borne by the hotel. Illustrated by local artist Mindy Lui, the guide spotlights key neighbourhood spots across three categories – Arts & Culture, Eat & Drink, and Photo Spots – and is complemented by a digital map with more detailed information and directions.
The accompanying food and drink vouchers provide guests with a taste of classic Hong Kong while taking them on a tour around the neighbourhood. Several of North Point’s oldest and most famous shops are included on the list, which will showcase their heritage, expertise, and craft to a new generation of local and international explorers.
The current launch of “Explore North Point” represents the first phase of a long-term initiative by the hotel, and new shops, sights and experiences will continue to be added to the project in later stages.
“Location has always been a cornerstone of the Hyatt Centric brand, and we strive to provide our guests with authentic experiences at the heart of each destination. All recommendations in the “Explorer Kit” have been carefully chosen by hotel team members based on their personal knowledge of the area, and designed to provide a true flavour of local culture,” said Patrick Sin, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Victoria Harbour Hong Kong. “We also want to go beyond just creating a neighbourhood guide, but to drive real activation in the community through the vouchers in the “Explorer Kit”. By covering the cost of food and drink items for our guests to redeem at selected shops, we want to bring revenue and potential customers directly to local small businesses. “Explore North Point” is a tribute to the neighbourhood we call home, and we are excited to introduce this vibrant and historic district to the world.”
Food and drink items that hotel guests will be able to sample as part of the “Explorer Kit” include:
- Gai Daan Jai (egg waffles) at Lee Keung Kee Egg Waffles– 雞蛋仔“gai daan jai” (literally “little chicken eggs” but more commonly known as egg waffles) originated in the 1950s as a way to use up broken eggs and is now one of Hong Kong’s most famous street foods. Lee Keung Kee is well- known in Hong Kong, and even received a mention in the 2017 Hong Kong & Macau Michelin Guide.
- Siu Maai (Cantonese dumplings) and Cheung Fan (steamed rice noodle rolls) at Ah-Yee Rice Noodle Roll– One of the most popular street food stalls in the area, Ah-Yee Rice Noodle Roll serves a host of local street snacks, including classics like curry fishballs, 燒賣 “siu mai”, and 腸粉 “cheung fan” – steamed sheets of rice noodles that are rolled together and served with various sauces.
- Dau Fu Faa (tofu pudding) at Tak Hing Loong Bean Curd Shop– Tak Hing Loong has been serving its famous 豆腐花 “dau fu faa” (also known as tofu pudding) for over 60 years, across 3 generations. Their tofu is freshly handmade every morning, using traditional stone-grinding techniques to achieve a silky-smooth texture.
- Herbal Tea at Yik Sau Tong Herbal Tea– Herbal teas are a longstanding tradition in the South China region. Made with indigenous herbs, 涼茶 “leung cha” (literally “cooling tea”) is believed to cleanse excessive heat from the body and prevent various ailments. Yik Sau Tong is one of the oldest herbal tea shops in the neighbourhood and offers a range of herbal teas to help improve wellbeing.
- Shrimp Roe Noodles from Double Happiness Noodles– An established noodle brand with more than 60 years of noodle-making history and experience, Double Happiness is an iconic fixture on North Point’s Chun Yeung Street. All of its noodle products are locally made and freshly-produced daily, using only natural ingredients and no preservatives.